06 June 2012

Cytoskeleton, Cells Bones!!


Things are not always what they seem to be... sometimes, in our lives, the paths chosen are put into question. Sometimes, learning something new, clarifies our vision; makes us question things we thought of as fitting ~ cells are more interesting to me this week than atoms.

It's along this diversion of topic that I came across cellular structure; as another path calling my name had me reading publications on this topic, greatly to my dismay ~ as if, no matter what I know I should do, I can't do it- the other option is far to enticing.

A Cytoskeleton is like the structure of a cell, like 'bones'. These 'bones' are not solid and give the cell mobility and malleability among other things. A big difference from the basic idea of a cell being an encasing (I always imagine gelly like) with innards of floating components that do stuff (yes, that is exactly how I thought of it prior to reading these past two weeks) I never thought about the fact that cells move (thinking more in terms of a flow of liquid pushing the cells through the body - which is a childlike comprehension of both cells and cell mobility) But, now upon learning that cells actually have an internal formed structure allowing for malleability, I'm flabbergasted.



It turns out that these inner structure components (in Eukaryote cells) come in three types; microfilaments, intermediate filaments and microtubules.

Microfiliments are the thinest of the three, linear and flexible - allowing for strong resistance capabilities. They also enjoy an actoclampin-driven...

"Actoclampin is a generic term that applies to all actin filament end-tracking molecular motors, irrespectivveof whether they are driven actively by an ATP-activated mechanism or passively when the monomer concentation exceeds the (+)-end critical concentration (Dickinson & Purich, 2002, 2006, 2007; Dickinson, Caro & Purich, 2004)." Sourced from here


So, basically, without researching the entire weekend away; I summarize this as the Microfiliments having the capacity to transmit messages for reactions.. these messages either are in response to an outward stimulus or an internal informative direction. These Microfiliments are what enable the cell to 'crawl'.

Intermediate filaments are a little more complex to summarize; best I can tell they are the 'instruction' components and their lacking of polarity, protein base (yay proteins) and genetic implications lead me to this conclusion. Read more here

Microtubles are a structural component as well; they add mass while also partaking in processes such as growing and shrinking to create force and they are involved in molecular modifications. So, as a layman interpretation; they are involved in both structural support and movement as well as action within the whole cytoskeletal mechanism.

To sum up what would take many a post to explain; a cytoskeleton is akin to a skeletal, neurological and muscular components of a body. Wow, so much happening in so tiny an organic structure!

It is in this summarization that I take my call to end. It's moments in life when questions arise that I wonder -- what do I know, if nothing. What can I learn, if everything. And, who can I learn it from?


KAS

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've Thought...

03.09 ~ I am but human, in my thoughts and desires- in my inconsistencies. It makes my opposing decisions no less real, no less quantitative... confusion is but the eye of truth, beckoning reason. ~ 03.12 ~ Time. It's existence is action progression, regression, reflection and projection. What in time is solidified and carried to another time is my choice. In one choice you lose all others; as an atom appreciates when the observer decides. It's a blue ocean of intrigue and a wave of contentment- that I am lost in, whilst, carried by. ~ 03.23 ~ That we are all part of one pulsing energy of life.. ~ 3.28 ~ There is no greater power, than the power of words. In speech we pass each other in halls, ride in elevators and embark in the great adventure that are words - with all of their beauty and intrigue. There are no wrong words spoken, only wrong interpretations and implications. Honest words are organic, true and expressions of what we are; existing autonomously and innocently, regardless of what others may think of them. 3.30 ~ That, the more I learn, the more I realize how little I know. It certainly doesn't help being in the company of those who have succeeded in accumulating far more knowledge than I. Is the differentiation between intelligence and knowledge simply the accumulation verses the ability to learn/understand? Or, are the two interchangeable. I feel as though time is passing faster than my ability to accumulate... do other people share this conundrum, I wonder... 4.02 ~ That, "It is what it is" isn't exactly accurate. "It is what I make it" is more so... 4.08 ~ That, "it's not time that matters... it's that mattering is what makes time." 4.12 ~ I watch and wonder... think and ponder... about it. Should I find that I have analyzed to much, to little; or that the quandary was all for not, I'll not know till the applicable time has passed.I hereby instill time as my guide, innocently and fully without disposition and without angst. (4.17) ~ Though random, we should not ignore paths crossed. Just as, we should not entirely exclude emotion from our conclusions. (4.26) ~ That I dispise my lack of control over my own intentions and wonder why I am so weak in this regard. (4.27) ~ That I have opened doors, I wished to open, while simultaniously putting other doors at risk of closing. It's not with resistance I contemplate, it's with anxiety. (4.28) That, I should take a break. Time to simply be, for a bit. (5.01) Its hunger drives decent of rational, a battle of wit and need. Like rain pouring down, wisped by winds, settled by gravity, I’m drawn to it ~ KAS