18 June 2011

Macaque Monkey, killed for suburban convenience??


in this article about killing Macaque monkeys for infringing upon our domestic comforts, I saw another unfortunate example of the restriction of another life forms, for our self centered gain. (And the monkey was or is...) As a distant cousin (approximated at branching 25 million years ago - what was Lucy... 2.5 million and the Taung child around 7 million?) far closer in genetic relation, then the feline I coddle on a daily basis. The Macaque Monkey is noted as the most widespread strain of primate (other than ourselves, of course,) am I really reading of extermination or 'culling' for the purpose of such convenience. Ughh… Then of course, testing comes into mind; a subject I attempt to regularly exercise ignorance about – as it obviously infuriates my sensitivities (as a life form and all.) So, I read and read... and find this article about a famous infantile Macaque Monkey saved from testing named Britches. Something along the lines of testing for the progression of the lives of blind humans. Oh dear...





Now, don’t get me wrong. I eat meat. I would kill as necessary to eat, protect my kin or self or in order to claim something I needed for survival. However, I do not believe that I (as a life form) am more valuable than a monkey, or any other animal for that matter; and do not believe death should be an occurrence at any time other than as necessary for protection or for food. Yes, I do exterminate my cellar for spiders and eat hamburgers; but, I can live without the newest mascara and can surely wait for a humane progression in medical advances; allowing animals to live as they deserve. Animals went through the battle that is 'evolution' just as we have; they should be able to exist without being hindered by our greed, control or desires (as should I - and wish for it regularly.)

In the Wiki article is mention of a 2007 DNA mapping concluding a 93% match to our DNA. Which lead me to this site, showing the DNA stand of the Macaque Monkey of which I am far from educated enough to understand (but, I enjoyed flipping through the Human vs Monkey vs mice strands. Of which I also linked; for DNA strand (mapped so far) comparison or learning purposes.

KAS

I've Thought...

03.09 ~ I am but human, in my thoughts and desires- in my inconsistencies. It makes my opposing decisions no less real, no less quantitative... confusion is but the eye of truth, beckoning reason. ~ 03.12 ~ Time. It's existence is action progression, regression, reflection and projection. What in time is solidified and carried to another time is my choice. In one choice you lose all others; as an atom appreciates when the observer decides. It's a blue ocean of intrigue and a wave of contentment- that I am lost in, whilst, carried by. ~ 03.23 ~ That we are all part of one pulsing energy of life.. ~ 3.28 ~ There is no greater power, than the power of words. In speech we pass each other in halls, ride in elevators and embark in the great adventure that are words - with all of their beauty and intrigue. There are no wrong words spoken, only wrong interpretations and implications. Honest words are organic, true and expressions of what we are; existing autonomously and innocently, regardless of what others may think of them. 3.30 ~ That, the more I learn, the more I realize how little I know. It certainly doesn't help being in the company of those who have succeeded in accumulating far more knowledge than I. Is the differentiation between intelligence and knowledge simply the accumulation verses the ability to learn/understand? Or, are the two interchangeable. I feel as though time is passing faster than my ability to accumulate... do other people share this conundrum, I wonder... 4.02 ~ That, "It is what it is" isn't exactly accurate. "It is what I make it" is more so... 4.08 ~ That, "it's not time that matters... it's that mattering is what makes time." 4.12 ~ I watch and wonder... think and ponder... about it. Should I find that I have analyzed to much, to little; or that the quandary was all for not, I'll not know till the applicable time has passed.I hereby instill time as my guide, innocently and fully without disposition and without angst. (4.17) ~ Though random, we should not ignore paths crossed. Just as, we should not entirely exclude emotion from our conclusions. (4.26) ~ That I dispise my lack of control over my own intentions and wonder why I am so weak in this regard. (4.27) ~ That I have opened doors, I wished to open, while simultaniously putting other doors at risk of closing. It's not with resistance I contemplate, it's with anxiety. (4.28) That, I should take a break. Time to simply be, for a bit. (5.01) Its hunger drives decent of rational, a battle of wit and need. Like rain pouring down, wisped by winds, settled by gravity, I’m drawn to it ~ KAS